HyNet North West is an innovative low carbon and hydrogen energy project that will unlock a low carbon economy for the North West and North Wales and put the region at the forefront of the UK’s drive to net zero.
With its history of bold innovation and industry, the region is the perfect choice to lead the low carbon energy transition. Whilst ambitious, HyNet is low-cost and achievable. It meets the major challenges of reducing CO₂ emissions from industry, providing fuel for our transport and heating for our homes and businesses.
From 2025, HyNet will produce, store and distribute hydrogen as well as capture and store carbon from industry in the North West of England and North Wales. We will use state-of-the-art technology to build new infrastructure whilst also upgrading and reusing existing infrastructure which is currently involved in fossil fuel production. We have designed the infrastructure to be both affordable and safe, and to be built quickly to help the region and the UK to meet its net-zero targets. 2050.
This revolutionary project has the potential to reduce carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions by 10 million tonnes every year by 2030 – the equivalent of taking 4 million cars off the road. By achieving this, HyNet will create and maintain thousands of local jobs, as well as enable long-term sustainability for businesses and financial security for communities across the region.
HyNet will bring together several different elements, including upgrades to existing infrastructure as well as development of new infrastructure. Put together, HyNet North West will help to create the UK’s hydrogen economy in clear, achievable steps and will put the region at the forefront of clean energy innovation.
Read HyNet’s Vision document here.
the hynet process
HyNet North West is a project that will bring together the innovative technology and infrastructure needed to drive towards a net zero future. As part of this, we are set to deliver:
- Carbon capture and storage (CCS) technology
- Low carbon hydrogen production
2050 vision our TIMELINE
We aim to unlock a low carbon future for the North West of England and North Wales, and to jumpstart industry’s part to play in the UK’s journey to net zero for 2050.
- Finding the need for the decarbonisation and clean hydrogen power that HyNet provides.
- Developing the infrastructure for capturing and storing CO₂ emissions – carbon capture and storage (CCS).
- Running demonstrations to blend hydrogen in to the gas network to power homes and businesses and in to industrial processes.
- Hydrogen infrastructure in place to supply clean power to industry, and blended hydrogen power to homes.
- Over 1 million tonnes of CO₂ being directly removed from regional industy every year.
- The supply of clean hydrogen extended to provide flexible power and fuelling network for transport.
- Further opportunities for lower cost and negative emissions hydrogen production.
- Over 25 million tonnes of carbon saved each year potentially.